TOXICSet and Costume Design
Manchester 2017. In the middle of a hot and sweaty queer warehouse party, two damaged hearts collide. He is HIV+ and drowning in shame. They are queer and one microaggression away from a full-on meltdown. Born into Thatcher’s Britain of race riots and rampant homophobia and growing up in the shadow of Aids and Section 28, the pair form a trauma bond so tight, they might just survive it all. But sometimes survival means knowing when to leave.
This explosive and heartfelt semi-autobiographical show written by Nathaniel J Hall (First Time, It’s A Sin) and performed by Nathaniel with Josh-Susan Enright blends storytelling (dir. by Scott Le Crass), movement (Plaster Cast), stunning design (Lu Herbert), visual projections and lighting (dede ././ and Tracey Gibbs) and an original pumping soundtrack by SHAR.
Pulling back the glittery curtain of pride to reveal a place where many still suffer the devastating impact of generational HIV stigma, racism, homophobia and toxic gender norms, this powerful and passionate play inspired by true events celebrates survival and the resilience of the queer spirit.
- Company Dibby Theatre
- Year 2023 October
- Written and performed by Nathaniel J Hall
- Performed by Josh Susan Enright
- Director Scott le Crass
- Set and Costume Designer Lu Herbert
- Lighting Designer Tracy Gibbs
- Sound Designer Joel Clements
- AV Design Dee Dixon
- Soundtrack and Composition SHAR (Charlotte Barber)
- Movement Direction Plaster Cast (Ayden Brouwers, Lizard Morris)
- Categories Set Design Costume Design
- Venue HOME Mcr
- Photography Dawn Kilner